Thursday, May 14, 2009

Third Year is a Leaper

This will be the third year of our hops and I can already tell that
the vines are going to take over the garden area. It's not even June
and they are taller than I am.

They are presently climbing up twine along the back (west) side of the
garage, this area protected from strong wind and it really warms up in
the sun. New for this year I have strung up more twine for the vines.
Once they reach the apex of the garage roof there are four strings
that run horizontally west towards the back fence.


All this extra string is up over our garden beds so come mid summer
we'll have a nice arbor of hops.


In a future post I'll elaborate on my methods for stringing up the
twine from the garage to the fence. It's pretty clever.

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty neat. In fact you've given me an idea that I need to follow up on. I'm in need of cheaper (less than 66¢ each) or free burlap bags. There's a microbrewer down the street from us who I will visit very soon to find out if he has hops and if so how they come to him--would they be in burlap bags? We're erecting posts for our kiwi vines. I've read that a prolific vine can produce 100 lbs of little kiwis. ...ah, if we should be so lucky. By the way, this is after about 4 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who grew hop vines and said they have a lot of sticky fuzzy stuff that'll get on you and itch, so be careful!

    ReplyDelete