Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It Starts with a Seed

There's a case of beer for the winner.

Since Spring 2008 my neighbor Nick from across the street has been trying to start up a "friendly" pumpkin growing competition between the two of us. I never really had the time or space to take him up on the suggestion, until he upped the ante with a case of beer for the winner. But that's not really my motivation. Pure pride and bragging rights, that's what I'm in it for.

I quickly realized that one of the keys to a giant pumpkin is genetics. Starting with a standard pumpkin, one not breed to grow big, would be a big mistake. My google searches turned up quite a bit of information regarding pumpkin breeds that are meant to grow big, and based on my Northwest growing climate, I chose the Prizewinner Hybrid from Burpee & Co. According to the seed package these pumpkins, under the best conditions, can grow to 150 pounds and 72" around. I'd say that's a good seed to start with.


3 comments:

  1. I am VERY confident that you can grow a 70+ pound pumpkin! It's amazing what a neighborhood rivalry (that involves beer) can do for your motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about how much space the vines will take up! How many are you going to grow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're ready for every detail. I love it that you and "L" are carrying on with family gardening tradition. We expect garden reports frequently--and photos. Are you blocking your neighbor's access to your blog so that you don't give away your secrets? Or will this just jack up the pressure on him? Ah, strategy.

    ReplyDelete