Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Greenhouse growing

The overnight temperatures in Portland are still on the chilly side, so to give my pumpkin seeds the best advantage I'm starting them out in the warmth and comfort of a greenhouse seed starter. This I have placed in the SW facing sunroom which receives quite a bit of sunlight throughout the day. And to maintain moist soil, I have my handy spray bottle to give the kit a spritz every once in a while.


Any tips from the gardeners out there how much I should or should not be watering at this stage?



The eight pumpkin seeds are planted in the center tray, which is to the right of the empty tray. That's where I will be focusing my love and attention. But not to waste space, the outer trays that have potting soil have been seeded with various sunflower seeds, some of which are from our own giant sunflowers grown two years ago. We don't know if these will sprout, but it's worth a try to see what we get.

1 comment:

  1. A tip that I overheard from the giant pumpkin growers in RI: don't plant those sunflowers near your pumpkins. They seem to stunt the growth of the things around them.

    ReplyDelete