Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Treatment Time

The powdery mildew on the leaves has been getting worse over the last
few weeks so I did a little research and found that this can be a
pretty harmful problem. Eventually the leaves all shrivel up and the
plant dies. Given that we have about two months left before the big
weigh-off I figured I had to take action to extend the life of my
plant as long as possible.

I took a trip to the local Lowes and picked up a spray bottle of this
stuff. Sounds like just what I need. Gave a good coating to the tops
of the leaves but ran out before I could spray the undersides. I this
starts to work I might try a more home made solution of baking soda
and water.

Seems from conversations with Chris and Nick that they are also up
against this same problem. It's very easy to find info online about
it, and I learned that it's so common that I should have been treating
the leaves preventatively before any symptoms appeared.

This is all good knowledge for Pumpkin Grow Off 2110.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see that you're taking care of things. I think you mean 2010 for the next pumpkin weighoff or I'll be too old to care. There's a real blight problem around here (RI) with tomato and potato blight. It is best to treat before the problem occurs, but of course, how does one know if it will appear? One organic farmer with farm shares has lost all his tomatoes. The potato farmer that we can see working has been harvesting big truckloads of potatoes, so perhaps his plants have not been affected. We've noticed that he has been spraying more than usual. Let us know how this works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happy to see that you care a lot about your plant, thanks for telling us about this spray, now my plant can look more healthy with the help of this spray......

    Nicole

    Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

    ReplyDelete